ANSWER KEY PSC HSST ENGLISH EXAM CONDUCTED ON 28 FEBRUARY 2018.
Prepared by Nasrullah Mambrol
1 The sub-title of “Windhover” is
A) From Christ our lord
B) Submit befer you O! Lord
C) To Christ our Lord
D) O! Christ My Lord
Answer: C) To Christ our Lord
2 Death Closes All” – appears in
(A) Browning s “My Last Duchess
(B) Tennyson’s Ulysses
C) Milton’s Lycidas
D) Coleridge’s Dejection-An Ode
Answer: (B) Tennyson’s Ulysses
3 Who is described as ‘a drunken vain glorious lout in Yeats’ Easter 1916 ?
A) Maud Gonne
B) John Mac Bride
C) W.H. Auden
D) Dylan Thomas
Answer: B) John Mac Bride
4 Harold Pinter ‘s plays are usually associated with the theatre of
(A) Elizabethan age
(B) The Absurd
(C) Abbey Theatre
(D) The Intellectual
Answer: (B) The Absurd
5 Whose poetry abounds with animals symbols
(A) Sylvia Plath
(B) Thom Gunn
C) Ted Hughes
D) William Blake
Answer: C) Ted Hughes
6 Who is the Protagonist in ‘The Waste Land’ ?
7 Which character is the embodiment of reason and common sense in ‘The Lord of the Flies’ ?
8 What is the original title of ‘The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man?
(A) Stephen Hero
B) Stephen Daedalus
(C) Stephen Spender
D) Edmund Bond
Answer: (A) Stephen Hero
9 Philip Larkin belonged to the
(A) The Brownian School
(B) The Liberal School
(C) The Movement School
(D) The Traditional School
Answer: (C) The Movement School
10 Who authored the look The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner ?
(A) Doris tossing
(B) Graham Greene
(C) James Joyce
(D) Allen Sillitoe
Answer: (D) Allen Sillitoe
11 Name the playwright who tells his audience “I must warn my readers that my attacks are directed against themselves, not against my stage figures”.
(A) Samuel Becket
(B) Edward Bond
(C) George Bernard Shaw
(D) J.M Synge
Answer: (C) George Bernard Shaw
12.‘The Waste Land was published in the year
13. Michel Foucault views the author as
(A) Creator of meaning
(C) Historical figure
(D) Individual Consciousness
Answer: (B) Function
14 The method according to which old names can be utilized in new circumstances is
Answer: (D) Paleonymy
15 Which among the following is the Vignaa caused by lack of training on the part of the Sahrudaya ?
(A) Lack of clarity and time
(B) Intrusion of space
(C) Possibility of doubt
(D) Improbability of theme
Answer: (B) Intrusion of space
16. According to T.S. Eliot, emotion of art is
Answer: (A) Impersonal
17. Gynocriticism aims to
(A) Understand specificity of women’s writing as a product of sexism.
(B) Adopt male models and theories
(C) Erase differences between male and female writing
(D) Understand women’s writing as a fundamental aspects of female reality.
Answer: (D) Understand women’s writing as a fundamental aspects of female reality.
18. Sharankumar Limbala states that dalit literature emerges from.
Answer: (B) Experience
19. Periphrasis is:
(A.) Inversion of Word order
(C) Pursuit of novelty
(D)) Digniflied composition
20. Art as Technique highlights the concept of
(D) Historical sense
Answer: (C) Defamiliarization
21.The statement ‘One may be a poet without versing, and a versifier without poetry, was made by
22 Which poem by Wordsworth is cited by Cleanth Brooks as based on a paradoxical situation
(A) It is a beauteous evening
D) The Solitary Reaper
Answer: (A) It is a beauteous evening
23. The way in which linguistic elements are put together to form phrases or clauses are called
Answer: (B) syntax
24.. Specific features that are superimposed on the utterance of speech are
Answer: (A) Suprasegmental
25. “Derivation” and “compounding” are terms related to
Answer: (C) Morphology
26. Naom Chomsky is generally associated with
(A) Generative Grammar
(B) Traditional Grammar
(C) Informal Grammar
(D) English Grammar
Answer:(A) Generative Grammar
27. The signifier and the signified are terms used in the linguistic theory of
(A) I.A. Richards
(B) Ferdinand de Saussure
(C) T.S. Eliot
(D) Roland Barthes
Answer:(B) Ferdinand de Saussure
28 The first Germanic sound shift is also known as
(A) Verner’s Law
(B) Grim Law
(C) Kluges Law
(D) None of these
Answer: (B) Grim Law
29.Kentish, Mexican, Northumbrian etc are
(A) Middle English
(B) Standard English old English
(C) Modem English
(D) Old English
Answer: (D) Old English
30.The Language variety unique to a single speaker of a language is called
Answer: (D) idiolect
31. Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales” is an example of ………….dialect
(B) Middle English
C) Old English
(D) Pidgin English
Answer: (B) Middle English
32The classical words found a way to the English language since the
(B) Norman Conquest
(C) Industrial Revolution
(D) Romantic Revival
Answer: (C) Morphology
33 Name the author of the poem Poet, Lover, Bird Watcher.
(B) A.K. Ramanujan
(C) Nissim Ezekiel
D) Dilip Chithre
Answer:(C) Nissim Ezekiel
34. Which tree is immortalized by Toru Dutt in her autobiographical poem ?
(C) Pepal Tree
35. Who is the third occupant in the Carriage described in Emily Dickinson’s poem Because I Could Not Stop for Death?
36. Kamaladas’s concept of language in the poem Introduction.
(A) Writes in three
(B) Speak two
(C) Knows three
(D) Dream in one
Answer:(D) Dream in one
37. Which Road did the traveller choose in Robert Frost’s poem The Road Not Taken ?
(A) The less travelled road
(B) The one covered with leaves
(C) The neatly paved one
(D) The grassy pathway
Answer:(A) The less travelled road
38. The heads of Devadatta and ……… were interchanged in Girish Karnad’s Hayavadana
Answer: (C) Kapila
39 Brutes in Eugene O ‘Neil’s play Emperor Jones keeps his followers under control with his much acclaimed
(B) Silver Bullet
(D) Gun Powder
Answer: (B) Silver Bullet
40. The broken Unicorn is the symbol of ………. in the play Glass Menagerie,
(B) Aman Wingfield
C) Blue Roses
(D) Gentleman Caller
Answer: (A) Laura
(41) What time did the clock hands show at Salim Sinai’s birth in The Midnight’s Children
(A) 10.10 A.M.
(B) 12 Midnight
(C) 1.00 A.M.
(D) 12.30 P.M.
Answer:(B) 12 Midnight
42. Which letter is used to brand the protagonist in Hawthorn’s novel The Scarlet Letter ?
43. Black Skin, White Masks is a work by
(A) Edward. W. Said
(B) Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak
(C) Frantz Fanon
(D) Aime Cesaire
Answer: (C) Frantz Fanon
44 An interdisciplinary approach to the relation between literature and environment is found in
(A) Deep Ecology
(B) Eco criticism
(D) Green movement
Answer: (B) Eco criticism
45 “Enemies, A Love Story” is a ………narrative by Isaac Bashevis Singer.
Answer: (A) Holocaust
46 The feminist anthology This Bridge Called my Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color is edited by
(A) Juanita Ramos
(B) Ana Castillo
(C) Gloria Anzaldua and Cherrie Moraga
(D) Cherrie Moraga and Juanita Ramos
Answer: (C) Gloria Anzaldua and Cherrie Moraga
47 The terms “Lesbian existence” and “Lesbian Continuum” were advocated by
(A) Diana Fuss
(B) Adrierthe Rich
(D) Judith Butler
Answer: (B) Adrierthe Rich
48 The terms “thick description” was used by the an Clifford Geertz in his work
(A) Cultural Materialism
B) The New Historicism
C) Modern Literary Theory
D) The Interpretation of Cultures
Answer: D) The Interpretation of Cultures
49 The term “Culture Industry” is associated with
(A) Terry Eagleton and Marshall Mcluhan
(B) Theodor Adornoand Max Horkheimer
(C) Raymond Williams and Stuart Hall
(D) Herbert Marcuse and Jean Baudrillard
Answer: (B) Theodor Adornoand Max Horkheimer
50 The German sociologist who is the author of The Structural Trans formation of the Public Sphere
(A) Wilhelm Dilthey
(B) Jiirgen Habermas
(C) Hans Joas
(D) George Simmel
Answer: (B) Jiirgen Habermas
51 Author of The Post Modern Condition
(A) Jean – Francois Lyotard
(B) Jurgen Habermas
(C) Gilles Deleuze
(D) Felix Guattari
Answer: (A) Jean – Francois Lyotard
52……is a key feature of diasporic literature.
Answer: (A) Displacement
53 The C.M.S Missionary who propagated the idea of primary education in Alleppey.
(A) James Roberts
(B) Claudius Buchanan
(C) Thomas Norton
(D) W.T. Ringletaube
Answer:(C) Thomas Norton
54 The event which led to the Temple Entry Proclamation by the Kochi Raja in 1947 –
(A) Guruvayur Satyagraha
(B) Paliyam Satyagraha
(C) Vaikom Satyagraha
(D) Payannur Satyagraha
Answer:(B) Paliyam Satyagraha
55. The autobiography Atmakatha‘ was written by :
(A) Arya Pallam
(B) Akkamma Cheriyan
(C) Lalithambika Antharjanam
(D) Anna Chandy
Answer:(D) Anna Chandy
56. The Social reformer who adopted the method of Misrabhojanami to fight against the evils of caste system.
(A) Sahodar‘ Ayyappan
(C) Chattampi Swamikal
(D) Sree Narayana Guru
Answer:(A) Sahodar‘ Ayyappan
57. Kerala Sahitya Charitra56m was his monumental work published in Five volumes after his death.
(A) Chandu Menon
(B) Ulloor S. Parameswara Iyer
(C) G. Sankara Kurup
(D) Kesav Dev
Answer: B) Ulloor S. Parameswara Iyer
58. One of the potential sites for Biosphere Reserves selected by the Ministry of Forests and Environment in India.
A) Marina Beach
(B) Tajpur Beach
(C) Kovalam Beach
(D) Colva Beach
Answer: (C) Kovalam Beach
59 The Classical Japanese dance drama.
(D) Wayang Wong
60. The largest inland body of water in the world.
(A) Lake Michigan
(B) Lake Victoria
(C) Lake Huron
(D) Caspian Sea
Answer:(D) Caspian Sea
61.The present U. N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres was the former prime minister of
Answer: (B) Portugal
62. The winner of the I.B.S.F world Billards championship held at Doha.
(A) Rupesh Shah
(B) Peter Gilchrist
(C) Pankaj Advani
(D) Mike Russell
Answer: (C) Pankaj Advani
63. Which of the following is not regarded as a salient feature of Indian constitution
(A) Universal Adult Franchise
(B) Quasi Federal Nature
(C) Dual Citizenship
(D) Judicial Review
Answer: (C) Dual Citizenship
64. The term ‘integrity’ in the preamble of Indian Constitution was inserted by the
(A) 39th Amendment Act
B)40th Amendment Act
(C) 41st Amendment Act
D) 42nd Amendment Act
Answer: D) 42nd Amendment Act
65. Which of the following statement is false regarding Emergency Provisions in Indian Constitution
(A) Before the expiry of one month from the date of declaration of emergency, both the Houses of Parliament need to approve it by resolution.
(B) The fundamental rights guaranteed under Article 19 would be non-existent against the State during the operation of proclamation of emergency.
C) The proclamation of emergency is not subjected to judicial review.
(D) During the operation of proclamation of emergency the State government will be under the complete control of the -Union Executive.
Answer: C) The proclamation of emergency is not subjected to judicial review.
66. Which of the following is not regarded as an office of profit for the election of the President of India ?
(A) Vice President
(B) Governor of any State
(C) Minister of any State
(D) None of the above
Answer: (D) None of the above
67. “No person accused of any offence shall be compelled to be a witness against him.” right is provided in
(A) Article 19 of the Indian Constitution
(B) Article 20 of the Indian Constitution
(C) Article 21 of the Indian Constitution
(D) Article 22 of the Indian Constitution
Answer:(B) Article 20 of the Indian Constitution
68. Who among the following is not a member of the committee for the appointment of the Chief Information Commissioner under the Right to Information Act, 2005 ?
(A) The Prime Minister
(B) The leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha
(C) The Speaker of Lok Sabha
(D) A Union Cabinet Minister nominated by the Prime Minister
Answer: (C) The Speaker of Lok Sabha
69. The officer appointed by the state government under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 is called
(A) Probationary Officer
(B) Protection Officer
(C) Welfare Officer
(D) Shelter Officer
Answer:(B) Protection Officer
70. An individual is considered as ‘child’ under the Protection of Child from Sexual Offence Act, 2012, if he or she is below the age of
71. According to Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, 2005 the state government shall make schemes for providing employment for not less than days to every household in the rural area in a financial year.
(A) 160 days
(B) 100 days
(C) 60 days
(D) 90 days
Answer:(B) 100 days
72 Which one of the following is not a salient feature of the National Food Security Act, 2013 ?
(A) Every State government shall constitute a State Food Commission
(B) The eldest woman member who is not less than 18 years of age shall be the head of the household for the purpose of issue of ration card
(C) Every State government shall appoint or designate an officer to be the District Grievance Redressal Official
(D) Any Public Servant or authority found guilty of not implementing the provisions of this Act will get a punish of 6 months imprisonment and fine up to 1000.
Answer:(D) Any Public Servant or authority found guilty of not implementing the provisions of this Act will get a punish of 6 months imprisonment and fine up to 1000.
73. A scaled down teaching encounter in class, size and time’ known as :
(A) Team teaching
(C) Micro Teaclig-‘
(D) Models of Teaching
Answer:(C) Micro Teaclig
74. Which one of the following does not come under Affective domain ?
Answer: (B) Creating
75. Number the following correctly on the basis of direct concrete experience to the most indirect abstract experience.
(i) Contrived experience
(ii) Motion pictures
(iii) Field trips
(iv) Radio Recording
(A) (i), (ii), (iv), (iii)
(B) (i), (iii), (ii), (iv)
(C) (iv), (iii), (ii), (i)
D) (iii),(iv),(ii), (i)
Answer: (B) (i), (iii), (ii), (iv)
76. A practice of comparing present achievement against the previous achievement of a learner.
(C) Criterion referenced
Answer: (D) Ipsative
77 Abbreviation of `MOOC is
(A) Management of online courses
(B) Multimedia online course
(c) Massive open online course
D) Master of online certificate course.
Answer: (C) Massive open online course
78. Ethnographic research comes under
(1) Historical research
(B) Descriptive research
(C) Experimental research
(D) Phenomenological research
Answer: (D) Phenomenological research
79.The formula to find out chi-square (x2) is
Answer: (A) D Question Set
80. The conditions or characteristics that the experimenter manipulates or controls in his or her attempt to ascertain their relationship to observed phenomena is known as
(A) Intervening variables
(B) Extraneous variable
C) Independent variable
(D) Dependent variable
Answer: C) Independent variable
81. ‘Proxemics’ is the study of :
(A) Body movements
(B) People’s use of space and its relationship to culture
(C) Individual life stories
(D) Study of local history of Schools
Answer: (B) People’s use of space and its relationship to culture
82. The Standard deviation of sampling distribution of a statistic is known as
(B) Mean Deviation
(C) Standard error
D) Type 1 Error
Answer: (C) Standard error
83. “Crafty men condemn studies, simple men admire them and wise men …..
(A) preserve them
(B) ignore them
D) use them
Answer: D) use them
84. Which Canterbury pilgrim carries a brooch inscribed with Latin words meaning “Love Conquers All”?
(A) The Prioress
(B) The Wife of Bath
(C) The Monk
D) The Squire
Answer: (A) The Prioress
85. In which meter did John Milton Write the Book IX of Paradise Lost ?
(A) Free verse
(B) Regular meter
(C) Blank verse
(D) Verse libre
Answer: (C) Blank verse
86. Thy………. makes my circle just And makes me end where I began”.
87. Who among the following is not a Graveyard poet ?
(A) Thomas Gray
(B) Edward Young
(C) Thomas Parnell
(D) Alexander Pope
Answer: (D) Alexander Pope
88. Which statement is true regarding the two plays The White Devil and The Duchess of Malphi ?
A) Both are tragedies that deal with the revenge motif.
(B) Both are tragicomedies in which all the female characters are killed.
(C) Both are tragicomedies that deal with historical themes.
(D) Both plays were written in 1620.
Answer: A) Both are tragedies that deal with the revenge motif.
89. Where does Act 1 scene 1 of William Congreve’s Way of the World open ?
(A) a pub
(B) a chocolate house
(C) a Carrefour
(D) the drawing room of Sir Willfull’s mansion
Answer: (B) a chocolate house
90. What does the inscription that appears on Dr Faustus’s arm O Homo fuge mean ?
(A) O Man, cry
B) O Man fly
(C) O Man, sink
(D) O Man, walk
Answer:B) O Man fly
91. Who was the famous playwright mentioned thrice in Mac Flecknoe whom Thomas Shadwell greatly admired ?
(A) Ben Jonson
(B) William Shakespeare
(C) Richard Flecknoe
(D) Tennessee Williams
Answer: (A) Ben Jonson
92. Who was the publisher of the Shakespearean sonnets ?
(A) William Herbert
(B) Henry Wriothesley
(C) Thomas Thorpe
(D) William Hall
Answer: (C) Thomas Thorpe
93. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife”. This sentence occurs in
(A) Sense and sensibility
(B) Pride and Prejudice
(C) Mansfield Park
Answer: (B) Pride and Prejudice
94. Who wrote the preface to the second edition of Wuthering Heights ?
(A) Mrs. Gaskell
(B) D.G. Rossetti
(D) Charlotte Bronte
Answer: (D) Charlotte Bronte
95. Name of the pupil friend of Jane Eyre at Lowood School
(A) Helen Burns
B) Adele Varens
Answer: (A) Helen Burns
96. The Mill on the Floss was first published in
97. Name Cecily Cardew’s governess in The Importance of Being Earnest
(A) Mrs. Moncrieff
(B) Lady Bracknell
(C) Miss. Prism
(D) Miss. Burnbury
Answer: (C) Miss. Prism
98. Which is the scene of the tragic incidents in The Dream Children ?
(A) A great house in Norfolk
(B) A farm house in Southampton
(C) An old house in Southampton
(D) A farmhouse in Norfolk
Answer: (A) A great house in Norfolk
99. “0 Lady! We receive but what we give.” Who is the lady referred to here ?
(A) Wordsworth’s sister
(C) Coleridge’s sister
(D) Sara Hutchinson
Answer: (D) Sara Hutchinson
100. The flowers that the blessed Damozel had in her hands are
Answer: (C) Lilies